Rosacea- Severe Redness in the Face

Monday, March 1, 2010
I came across a Facebook page about the experience of someone that has overcome rosacea with a particular diet practice. She's even posted photos to prove it! (I have yet to post any photos...)

Read "Rosacea ? Dealing with it without drugs!"

The most obvious trigger of my red face is SUGAR. On her Facebook page, Megan posted a link about salicylate sensitivity. Here is a food guide that rates salicylate levels in foods by negligible to very high.

Honestly, I feel a little overwhelmed looking at the list. I just glanced at the seasonings list. Every single seasoning that I use is considered very high. Then a lot of the things I've read that are bad, are listed as negligible for the level of salicylates. If I want to try this, I think the best approach is to start with the allergy testing for things like wheat and dairy... then start to weed out salicylates.

Directly from her Facebook page, I've copied what she labels as foods to avoid:
ALL citrus, grapefruits,grapes, strawberries, raspberries, gherkins, olives, anything from the deli shop, tomatoes, capsicums, eggplants, mushrooms, all oils except for olive, sesame oil too, all vinegars except for malt vinegar, all processed meats, hard cheeses, all dried fruit, all spreads, jams, Vegemite, honey,cocoa, chocolate, full strength coffee, high amounts of preservatives, artificial flavoring (chips, noodles, crackers, snacks, cheese and BBQ flavoring, MSG), Chinese sauces, tomato sauces,tomato sauce, tandoori, all nuts except for cashews, sesame and sunflower seeds, wines, beers, all kinds of juice, vegetable and tomato juice, chili, dates, kiwi fruit, smoked meats, meat pies, soy sauce, cola drinks, orange juices, lemon butter, breakfast cereals containing dried fruits, coconut, coconut oil, yeast extracts, red and white wine vinegars, peanuts.

So from here, I'll list what I usually like to eat:
deli meat
cheese
Healthy choice TV dinners
chicken
BBQ
Salmon
tuna
tacos
salads
soda
cookies
crackers
pizza
tomatoes
grapefruit juice
orange juice
lemonade

Wow, is my entire diet on the list of banned foods??!!

I've certainly heard this before... ZINC is great for the skin.

No comments